It's time to ask a few questions. If the powers that be think they'll escape these questions, they should think again. We urge The Record to begin asking these questions as well. There's enough fluff in newspapers today, how about some real, tough questions. The kind journalists used at ask public officials.
WEED 'N SEED
For background, go here.
1. Who at Rensselaer County falsified a document and then sent it to the United States Justice Department? Based on our intrepid investigators, we know that a certain report was attributed to a person who did not create that report. Based on e-mails in our possession, we know that she could not have created the report because she did not have the password to the Federal system. She had no way to create the on-line report.
2. There is almost $50,000 difference between the actual report (the one created by the woman) and the falsified report (generated by who?). Which one is accurate. If the actual report is accurate, where is the $50,000? Of course, we know that the County now has to pay the Feds the money. The Feds will then give it to Troy. Obviously, the Feds do not trust Rensselaer County.
We think those questions should be asked and answered. Is that too much to ask?
NO SHOW JOBS
Katrin Ellis, DA DeAngelis' long-time 'personal assistant' may have enjoyed a no-show job while at the DA's office. See this story. The Rensselaer County Legislature has refused to investigate.
1. Does the Rensselaer County Legislature's refusal to investigate the Ellis matter have any connection to the DA's inaction on the Weed 'n Seed scandal?
1. Why does the administration talk about supporting the troops while denying Officer Owens a mere $1,300? They have money for raises. Mitchell makes $80,000 and yet he has farmed out another case to John Bailey. What exactly does Corporation Counsel do besides failing to respond to FOIL requests? Why didn't the Council allow a vote on Dunne's resolution that would give Owens the $1,300? An up or down public vote.
1. How did Harry save the city $60,000 by changing insurance agents? Lets get a complete breakdown of that savings.
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Finally, where is Uncle Joe in all of this mess? His political spawn now run rampant through Rensselaer County. If the people of Rensselaer County are content to let the Bruno's operate this county as their own fiefdom far be it from us to criticize. Remember, for there to be Lords, there must be peasants.
The Democratic Party better start pounding away at some or all of these questions.
Finally, are we going to have to rely upon Michele Bolton and the Times Union to ask all these questions?